Wednesday, January 28, 2015

More game reviews-Kickstarter edition


Hello.
 

So here I am yet again with more mini reviews of games I am playing from the massive backlog I have in my library.  And THIS time I did something a little different.  Three of the five games I am reviewing I backed on Kickstarter.  How well did I pick?  Let us see…

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded (Replay Games):  Sometimes nostalgia can be a good thing.  And other times it can go horribly wrong.  This is one of the latter.  While it plays more or less like the original game (with the exception of toning it down a bit to get wide release), the rest of the game got some major upgrades.  More voice acting, more scenarios, and a graphical facelift were all part of the deal when this was put onto Kickstarter.  Well, they did as they promised…but ultimately failed.  The dialog is repetitive and unfunny, the extra scenarios are uninspired, and the graphics look like bad Flash animation.  Not worth getting, I am sad to say.

Shadowgate (Zojoi):  Another point and click adventure game of the past given new life via Kickstarter.  And unlike the above, this one is worthwhile.  While the graphics seem a bit much for the game compared to the original, it still plays head and shoulders above LSLR.  Not as good as a Telltale Games property, but it passes the time well.  Worth a look.

Evoland (Shirogames):  An interesting take on the evolution of RPG games, from old school 8 bit graphical to more modern HD poly graphics, with a lot of the advancements each generation brought.  For the first 2/3 of the game it is a fun look at how much the games have changed .  They also have an interesting mechanic where you can change eras and go between older 2d graphics and modern 3d, where you have to utilize the differences between the two to advance.  Then comes the final 1/3, where they seem to run out of ideas and just go for parodying common tropes in RPGs.  And there it runs out of steam.  A shame, because for the most part the game is pretty fun.  Give it a shot, but realize it gets old quick.

Mercenary Kings (Tribute Kings):  A retro style shooter in the style of Contra and Metal Slug with graphical artwork by Paul Robertson, well known bit artist.  It is a game that I feel I have barely scratched the surface of.  While the controls are a bit frustrating, I think this is one I will be coming back to play some more of when I get a chance.  So yeah, it seems a good purchase to try.

Defense Grid 2 (Hidden Path Entertainment):  The final game of this session, this was another one I backed on Kickstarter.  And I have to say this one was well worth it.  A tower defense game that has a story dealing with sentient artificial intelligences, humans, and an invading alien force.  Great graphics, voicework, gameplay, the works.  This is one I am glad to have backed and is one I will fire up when I can’t decide what I want to play.  Definitely worth your time to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment