Monday, April 11, 2011

Reset


I have left ticketing.

I have worked the counter for nearly four years now and decided that, for now, it was enough. I voluntarily took a pay cut to go back to the evening red cap job.

When I originally switched jobs it was because the new position paid more per hour, as well as being mornings, which was good seeing as I was going to be married and needed the money to get a larger house for 4 people.  (Myself, my then fiancĂ©, and her two daughters.)  Well, we all know how well THAT worked out, but still I stayed there, still saving to buy (a now smaller) house. 

But the job does things to you.  And the constant wearing on me by the demands of the job was turning me into someone I did not like.  I was losing my love for the job, and was letting the standards I had set for myself slip.  I feel if I stayed, I would have ended up doing something very foolish that could harm my career.

So I went back.

The opportunity arose where I could go back to the position I started at, the position I loved, so I took it.  Some may think I am a quitter and others a fool for doing this, but what good is a job if you don't like it and want to do it?  Going back to this position gives me not only the interaction with people I like, but more exercise and sense of satisfaction to boot.  There are other factors that lead this to a plus in my book, but I don't need to go into them here.

I have to think long term on this.  The position I ultimately crave will not become available for years, so I took what I perceive to be the next best thing.  Time will tell if I did right.

I think I did.

1 comment:

  1. Wise move my friend. It's all about job and life satisfaction. The $ don't matter. The exercise will do you good......I think you made a very smart move. Til next time

    ReplyDelete