Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another bit of Chikenese

Dead Dave (usually said 2+ times, a bit louder and angrier each time):  Someone who just WILL NOT listen to what you are saying unless you repeat it multiple times.

We've all had to deal with this:  the person who asks a question and then makes you repeat it several times because for some reason or another they cannot comprehend or believe the answer you have given them.  It is frustrating, especially when they get huffy and mad at you because they think you sound a bit irritated after saying the same thing to them several times in a row... which, honestly you just might be.

The phrase has it's origins in the great British comedy 'Red Dwarf'- the very first episode in fact.  The show chronicles the adventures of the most motley crew ever assembled:

Dave Lister- last human alive... and pretty much the slobbiest example of Humanity.

Arnold Rimmer- a hologram of Dave's immediate supervisor... and a walking bundle of neurosis that could fill several medical textbooks.

Cat- last of Homo Felinus, descended from Dave's cat... pretty much what you would expect from a feline in humanoid form.

Kryten- a cleaning mechanoid who has broken his programming.

Holly- the Red Dwarf's computer who used to be one of the smartest creations around... until he got a bit senile after 3 billion years of being alone.

I will let the following clip show the genesis of the phrase, because it loses some of it's humor when I write it:




As you might have guessed, in my line of work I seem to spend more time repeating myself than actually dong the job I am tasked to.  I don't mind doing it once or even twice, but several times gets to me... and then to watch the person go to someone else at my work and as the SAME DAMNED QUESTION is VERY frustration.  After said incident occurs, you can usually see me head into the back and utter the phrase.

It helps...

No comments:

Post a Comment